December 17, 2020
As we approach the start-up of the lifts and the beginning of the 2020-21 ski and snowboard season, we send out this message with a few reminders of what to expect when you come to enjoy the great outdoors and the fun of sliding over our nicely groomed slopes. We are implementing a number of changes and best practices to provide a winter activity that is as safe as possible in regards to the spread of COVID. The cooperation of every person coming skiing or snowboarding is an absolute must. We thank you in advance for doing your part by not being the reason we lose our season.
Here are a couple of key things to be aware of when you are here:
- The chalet is only open for picking up season passes or tickets, to pick-up/drop off rentals, limited retail, for washroom use and for emergency warm-up.
- Food & Beverage services are open for take-out only.
- Everyone must get ready at their vehicle or before they arrive at the resort.
- Only the person (and guardian if under 18) picking up their season pass should come in the chalet. Leave the rest of the family and your friends outside.
- Only one person in your party should come into pick-up lift tickets and rental or lessons vouchers.
- No outside food in the chalet.
- No bags can be left in the chalet.
- Bring extra masks as your mask will get wet while in the lift line and on the lifts.
- If parents are dropping off their kids, they must be ready to stay outside on the slopes for the duration of being at the ski hill.
- Respect signage and staff who are helping to maintain social distancing.
- No gatherings of any kind on the slopes.
As most of you know, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit was put into the Red – Control category of COVID restrictions for at least 28 days starting Monday, December 14, 2020. This means we know what we can offer to Members and Guests when we open and/or until the restrictions are changed. The good news is that moving into the Red category does not change the fun of skiing or snowboarding too much. However, the chalet will be significantly affected.
Here is a more in-depth summary of how we will operate starting December 18, 2020:
- Face coverings will be mandatory in the lift lines and while riding the lifts.
- Face coverings will be mandatory any time that 2-meter social distancing cannot be maintained which includes on chalet decks, in the parking lot and on the slopes.
- 2-meter social distancing must be maintained in lift lines unless you are in a social bubble riding the lift together.
- Social cohorts and family bubbles can ride the chairlift together.
- No group gatherings are allowed on the slopes, in the terrain park, in the parking lot or other outdoor spaces.
- Young children must be supervised by a parent or chaperone. If they cannot ride the lifts on their own, a parent or chaperone on skis or snowboard with a valid lift ticket should be with them to assist.
- The warming tent will have a maximum capacity of 10 people.
- Daytime operations are from 9:00am – 4:00pm and night operations are from 4:30pm – 9:00pm. There will be a half-hour break between day and night operations for cleaning purposes.
- Anyone who requires the attention of Patrol must wear a mask while being attended to by the Patroller.
- Face coverings are mandatory in all indoor spaces, any line-ups (inside or outside) and in any area where 2-meter social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Indoor facilities will be for Guest and Rental services, use of washrooms, emergency warming-up and access to Member’s lockers. There is a maximum occupancy of 10 people per zone within the chalet for these purposes only.
- No outside food is permitted in the chalet.
- Bags and equipment cannot be left in the chalet.
- All food and beverage sales will be for take-out only. There is no food or beverage consumption indoors.
- Young children must be supervised by a parent or chaperone. There will be no running loose in the chalet.
- The Member’s locker area is for equipment storage only. It is not a dressing area.
- All indoor stairways are for emergency use only. There is no accessing other areas of the chalet via indoor stairways.
Before and Upon Arrival
- All products (except Food & Beverage) will be sold online.
- Pre-purchase of lift tickets, lessons, rentals and passes is required.
- Members and Guests should arrive ready to ski and snowboard or get prepared for skiing and snowboarding in the parking lot. Their vehicle should become their personal daylodge.
- Members and Season Passholders are required to register via an easy and quick online program each time they visit the resort for contact tracing purposes.
- If the Face covering policy is not respected, guests will be asked to leave the property.
The Complete Safety Plan is available for anyone who wants to read it. Once again, this is a living document that will be updated if there are any changes to the current restrictions. We ask for everyone’s respect and cooperation with the challenges we face this winter.
See you on the slopes soon,
Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Area
Muskoka Ski Club